A presentation reviewing the major safety risks mobile cranes pose for operators and workers around them and how to reduce those risks. It is designed for site supervisors or safety representatives.
Inspection Requirements for Mobile CranesKey Concepts:
- OSHA requirement concerning mobile crane inspections
- Crane inspection types
- Inspection records
- How to conduct a mobile crane inspection
- Basic crane inspection component list
- Competent Person needs to do inspection
- Correct any deficiencies immediately
- Maintain inspection records
Crane Inspection Types
- Daily to monthly intervals.
- Performed at the start of each shift.
- Focuses on components that may change from day to day.
- 1 to 12 month intervals.
- Includes items listed in the daily inspection as well as; structural defects, excessive wear, and hydraulic or air leaks.
- Date of Inspection
- Signature of person conducting inspection
- Serial number; or other identifier
Conducting a Mobile Crane Inspection
Consider the following when inspecting cranes:
- Request for and review all inspection and maintenance documents.
- Conduct a walk-around.
- Ask the operator, ground crew (riggers), and/or supervisors appropriate questions.
- Check crane set up and stability.
- Crane Records
- Crane Setup
- Load Charts
- Correct Use
Crane Inspection Components
- Manufacturers' manuals
- Exposed moving parts
- Swing radius
- High voltage warning signs
- Boom stops
- Jib stops
- Boom angle indicators
- Boom hoist disconnects
- Anti-two blocking device
- Hydraulic functions
- Drum lagging and flanges
- Boom assembly
- Hydraulic hoses & fittings
- Load charts
- Wire rope (running & standing)
- Operator's compartment
- Access ladders
Exposed Moving Parts
High Voltage Warning Signs
Boom Angle Indicators
Boom Hoist Disconnects
Anti-Two Block Devices
Leveling of the Crane
Drum Lagging and Flanges
Components of the Boom Assembly
Hydraulic Hoses & Fittings
Outriggers & Beams
- What are five (5) OSHA requirements concerning the inspection of mobile cranes?
- What two (2) types of inspections must be performed on all cranes?
- What three (3) inspection records shall be maintained monthly on critical items in use?